Thursday, November 1, 2012

New Beginnings

This is my second third fourth attempt at keeping a blog. Let's hope this one sticks!

To get in the habit of posting, I'm going to commit to posting every day this month and participating in NaBloPoMo. I've also wanted to do the 30 Days of Gratitude that people do on FaceBook, but I always forget until the 2nd or 3rd of November. So I am going to begin this blogging adventure with my 30 Days of Gratitude, thereby ensuring that I have blog fodder for this month.

Today, I am grateful for running water and electricity.

Now, when I first thought about being grateful for those, my instinct was that it wasn't good enough...that it wasn't something worth being grateful for because everyone has it. And then it hit me. That's the point of 30 Days of Gratitude: recognizing things for which we are grateful that we might otherwise take for granted.

Right now, there are people still without power in the aftermath of Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy. I heard someone on the radio today who was given an estimate of November 9th for her electricity to be restored. That's more than a week away! But beyond that, there are millions of people in other countries who do not have electricity and/or running water, and it's not because of a storm. We take electricity and running water for granted, but there are others who would view them as a luxury.

No comments:

Post a Comment